Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Although dogs are not picky when it comes to food and fruits, not all fruits are good for a dog, especially grapes. 

Regardless of the breed, sex, or age of a dog, the effect of grapes still remains. None of these has any influence on the risk of being affected, and since there is no proven amount that is safe, you shouldn’t be giving your pup grapes or raisins at all.

Eating any quantity of grapefruit could potentially lead to acute (sudden) kidney failure in dogs.

Table of Content

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Can Dogs Eat Grapes

The simple answer is No. Dogs should not eat grapes even if it’s in the form of raisins. Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs although the exact substance in the fruit that causes this reaction is yet to be identified.

How Often Should I Take My Dog To The Vet? – Find Out

Can a Single Grape Kill a Dog?

Of course, something as meager as a single graor can hurt your furry friend. Regardless of how little the intake of grape/raisin is, the toxicity is still fatal. Eating the fruit could potentially lead to acute (sudden) kidney failure in dogs.

How Do I Know My Dog Had Eaten Grapes?

If your dog eats grapes, here are some signs and symptoms they will begin to show;

  • Pale gums
  • Dehydration 
  • Kidney failure
  • Increased thirst 
  • Loss of appetite
  • Abdominal pain 
  • Dry nose and mouth
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea
  • Lethargy, weakness, unusual stillness
  • Increased urine production or diminished amount of urine or complete cessation altogether.

What Do I Do If My Dog Ate Grapes?

If your dogs show signs of grape ingestion, the first and most important action to be taken is to take it to a vet for examination. 

Most veterinarians may recommend that you induce vomiting immediately as long as your furry companion is not having trouble breathing.

Also, do not induce vomiting if your dog is exhibiting signs of distress or is unconscious, or if you’re not sure what he has eaten. This should get them back in good shape.

However, in cases where vomiting is not ideal, the veterinary staff may administer activated charcoal treatment. Afterwhich intravenous fluids may be given for 48 hours.

Can Dogs Eat Bananas?  – Find Out

How Much Grape Can Harm A Dog?

Grapes and Raisins as little as 0.7 ounces per kilogram of grapes and 0.1 ounces per kilogram of raisins respectively are toxic to dogs. What this insinuate is that 1 or more grapes can be lethal to dogs, 3 grapes could be fatal for a 2.5-pound puppy, and 12 grapes could potentially kill a 10-pound animal.

Can Dogs Survive If They Eat Grapes?

Although grapes can cause acute renal failure in dogs, if attended to immediately, the dog can survive it.

Should I Be Worried If My Dog Ate One Grape?

Absolutely, you should be up and out looking for a solution immediately if your dog eats  if you want your little furry friend to live. If your dog is treated quickly enough the damages may be curtailed. 

How long After A Dog Eats Grapes Will It Throw Up?

The most common early symptom of grape or raisin toxicity is vomiting, which is generally seen within 24 hours following ingestion. 

Is Pumpkin Good For Dogs? – Find Out

Are Grapes Or Chocolate Worse For Dogs?

Both grapes and chocolate are lethal to dogs. While grapes can cause renal failure within 24 hours, chocolate toxicity can cause vomiting, diarrhea, rapid or irregular heart rate, restlessness, muscle tremors, and seizures. 

Both can cause death within 24 hours of ingestion. Also, both can cause acute kidney failure in cats and dogs.

Besides Grapes, What fruit Can Dogs Not Eat?

Fruit makes good treats for dogs. But whatever you do, do not feed your dogs either of these fruits;

  • Avocado.
  • Cherries. 
  • Grapes. 
  • Tomatoes.


Treats or no treats do not give your dogs grapes. Dogs should not eat grapes because grapes have a tendency of causing renal failure in dogs. 

Depression in Dogs | Signs, Causes and Treatment – Find Out


Leave a Reply
You May Also Like